The following is from “History of Norfolk” by
Theron Crissey, 1900.
The Township of Norfolk was created by the
Connecticut Assembly in 1726 along with the towns of Goshen, Canaan,
Cornwall, Kent and Salisbury. The town officially consisted of
22,336 Acres of land, nine miles long and four and a half miles
Not immediately attractive, the town was
unsuccessfully offered for sale in Hartford in April 1738. By May
of 1750, with no potential bidders, the Assembly ordered the town
sold at auction. There were few takers, and the land rights were
not completely sold until around 1755. The Town was officially
incorporated in 1758 with twenty seven resident families which grew
to over seventy families within three years.
The town’s cultural and architectural tone was
set by a few founding families, beginning the in mid 1850s,
including the Eldridge Family, the Battelle Family, and the Stoeckel
Family. Here are some highlights.
Yale Summer Art & Music Program
the mid 1850’s some Norfolk Residents, in particular the Eldridge
and Battelle families, donated approximately $320,000 to Yale
University in support of the now existing Battelle Chapel and a
Music Library. Yale’s Summer Art & Music Program is now located on
the former Battelle Estate.
The Norfolk Library
Donated by Miss
Isabella Eldridge, opened in 1889.
Donated by Miss Alice Bradford Eldridge, opened in
1892. Converted for use as the Norfolk Town Hall in the late
Donated by the
Eldridge Family, built in 1889.
1928. Donated by the Stoeckel family. Currently located in the Battelle Chapel.